Once the spring season arrives, many homeowners start to think about getting their houses in order. From the usual indoor spring cleaning, to getting the yard, garden, pool, and deck areas ready for the warmer weather ahead, spring is definitely a good time to clean and refresh your home. For some people, it’s also a time when they start thinking about the planet, and how to become more energy-efficient in their homes.
In this article, we’ll talk about some easy ways you can help your home become more energy-efficient, both indoors and out. From simple do-it-yourself energy-saving tips, to some that may mean calling a contractor but can help you save in the long run, we hope you find these suggestions helpful. Keep reading to learn more!
10 Energy-Saving Tips for Your Home for Spring
- Choose energy-efficient lightbulbs. Even if you only replace the bulbs in your most frequently-used light fixtures, you can save up to $75 in energy costs when you switch to ENERGY STAR-rated bulbs.
- Unplug electronics and small appliances when not in use. Chargers and small kitchen appliances like can openers and toasters still sap small amounts of energy when not in use – and that can add up. Unplug whatever appliances you can to help save energy.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. When people think about insulation, they tend to think about the job it does to help their homes stay warm in the winter. However, the same goes for helping homes stay cool in the summer! Proper insulation keeps your conditioned air where it belongs – inside – and that makes the job easier for your HVAC system.
- Get motion sensing outdoor lights. Rather than having garage or porch lights that stay on (until someone remembers to turn them off!), you might want to opt for motion-sensing lights that can illuminate your way when you need it, and then turn off when you’re inside.
- Wash your laundry in cold water when possible. It just stands to reason that your hot water heater has to work to warm up the water when you choose hot or warm for your wash – but there is no energy used when choosing the cold cycle. In fact, most laundry detergents today are made to work with cold water.
- Line dry the laundry when possible. When it’s sunny and breezy, why not hang out your laundry, or at least bulkier items that can take a while in the dryer, such as towels, sheets and blankets? Not only will you save electricity, but your laundry will smell April-fresh!
- Invest in energy-saving power strips. The Department of Energy estimates that homeowners can save up to $100 a year by plugging their electronic devices into power strips, and turning the strip off when not in use.
- Make sure doors and windows aren’t drafty. Just like drafty doors and windows can let the frigid air inside during the winter, they can let your cooled air outside during the warmer months. This makes your air conditioning system have to work harder – and use more energy.
- When it comes time to replace appliances, choose ENERGY STAR certified. All home appliances have ENERGY STAR-certified choices, including equipment like dishwashers, dryers, washers, ovens and more.
- Call your HVAC contractor and schedule annual maintenance for your AC system. Some homeowners think that getting annual maintenance is a waste of money. However, that could not be further from the truth. In fact, the Department of Energy recommends regular maintenance for energy savings and system longevity.
Reidy Heating & Cooling, Inc. Can Help You Get the Spring Maintenance You Need.
At Reidy, our professional technicians are ready to help you get the annual air conditioning maintenance you need to rest assured that your system is operating both effectively and efficiently. We’ll check your system, make sure all the moving parts are clean and in good working order, and change or clean your air filter. And, if we find any issues, we’ll talk to you about them and make any needed repairs – before they become larger, more expensive ones.
Not to mention, when you choose annual maintenance from Reidy, you’re also helping to keep your equipment’s manufacturer warranty in place.
Save Energy & Keep Your AC Healthy with Reidy
We’re ready to help you get the spring maintenance you need for your air conditioning system. We can even provide you with a maintenance plan that provides 24-hour service, no overtime charges, and discounts on labor and materials for members. So, you’ll save energy and get the peace of mind you deserve! Just call (413) 534-3749 to learn more about how we can help you with your air conditioning maintenance needs.